Learn More

July 10, 2006

The World Cup Final and Zinedine Zidane


I don't ever justify violence, I can, however, understand people making mistakes. Having said that, I move on to my brief, closing remarks on the World Cup Final.

I like sports, I was selected to be on my school's soccer and basketball teams throughout most of highschool and to this day enjoy playing "living-room" soccer with Gustavo and our son, Pablo, every once in a while (a duty that comes with the job, I guess). The World Cup is pretty much the only time I ever sit down to watch sports on television despite my taste for it, and this year was no exception.

Soccer is the only sport that displays such grace and romance (and, as the world learned, romance sometimes comes with passion). It is almost like therapy for some to watch these geniuses perform on the field, anticipating moves, surprising and enchanting us with their other-wordly skills. The Final had its share of magic and, to balance things out, its share of drama. Overall I thought it was a very fast-paced, entertaining match and, although I really didn't have a favorite, I really like how the French played: aggressive, yet elegant (at least until minute 110).

As for Italy, they have outstanding players to their advantage, and made good use of their skill as a team (and are very cute!), yet the French, led by Zidane, definitely won my heart over. At this point I must state that wining my heart over defines greatly who I will go for in a match.

As I said before, there is no justification for violent acts, but there is also no justification for being an Italian ass and provoking the French captain, their spinal cord, like that. Although Zidane closed this chapter, or rather ended the book, with a very sad note, I still believe him worthy of praise and admiration because of everything he is, not only for France, but for soccer. The man rules on the field and hopefully the stain of his premature farewell to the game will eventually begin to fade and the magic will remain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

estoy de acuerdo contigo. no soy muy partidaria del equipo francia, pero sí de zidane, me entristeció el incidente. no lo justifico, pero espero que se aclaren las circunstancias. por algo fue escogido el mejor jugador del mundial, además todo el mundo sabe que es un caballero, aunque esta vez se le fueron las patas.

Greta Earle said...

yo no puedo evitar ponerle un toque de sentimentalismo a todo el asunto, todo eso agravado por el crush que tengo con zidane! (y cannavaro y del piero...) en fin, me alegra que lo hayan recibido como lo hicieron en paris.