Learn More

January 19, 2007

Panama Jazz Festival 2007

Yesterday my friend Kelly and I went to the Atlapa Convention Center to get our dose of good old live jazz. It was the second date for the concerts programed for this year. A "Noche de Gala - Homage to Barbara Wilson", took place Wednesday night at the National Theatre.

January 18: Noche Panamericana

We couldn't make it on time, but fortunately do not appear to have missed much according to the program. Left me wondering how late, if at all, the event started. Once seated, I was pleasantly surprised when mere seconds later I heard Patricia Vlieg would be joining the Panamerican Big Band which was getting ready to play. I know this girl because she went to the same school as I did. I always remember her because she sings beautifully and, maybe because she is blind, seems to vibrate with the melody and the vibes travel around the room melting anyone who'll listen.

Patricia Vlieg and Victor "Vitín" Paz, director of the Band, during "My one and Only Love" (if you've heard the Leaving Las Vegas soundtrack, you'll know this song is special).

Patricia and the Panamerican Big Band during a bolero.

"Vitín" Paz doing what he does best.

The content of the program was rather diverse. This year I was at least hoping to hear more classic jazz tunes like those my dad used to hear and that I could've sung along to. Those mastered by Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington, Etta James -ok, I admitt I like my jazz with a bit of milk and sugar, please. I heard Celia Cruz instead. I guess it was to be expected since, more than anything, I think this jazz festival is a desperate attempt to inject music and soul into a town that's growing ever more empty and greedy and any music, as long as it is good, will serve the purpose. Plus, people from many distant places come to sit and enjoy our mighty Panama Jazz Festival. People from towns in desperate need to be injected with some sabor! Celia Cruz more than serves the purpose.

Up next we saw the participation of the New England Conservatory and the Berklee College of Music which were both vibrant with kids, each passionately wooing their instrument to the same rythm.

Guest director Ken Shaphorst and band.

The pianist and bass player, very good.

The last act we saw before exhaustion and hunger struck was the Tributo a Chile Band, singing and playing songs that took us throughout Chile, in time and space, without getting up from our seats. Some songs were arrangements of poems by Gabriela Mistral and Pablo Neruda, others were versions of Violeta Parra and Victor Jarra classics.

Although this was my least favorite I must say that the girls of the band, the sax player and singer, were superb.

No comments: